Recipe by yooper
Another winning low carb entree! This calls for bone in chicken breasts with skin, which keeps the meat exceptionally juicy. You could sub skinless, boneless breasts, but make sure to adjust cooking time and temp so the meat does not dry out. From Gourmet magazine.
Top Review by Just Cher
This is another dish I choose for pick your chef. I choose it as it was low in carbs and sounded interesting. I used chicken beast on the bone as for the most part we prefer it as it does not dry out the meat. I followed the recipe exactly except I added an additional 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes as we like the heat.The results were wonderful juicy chicken bursting with flavor. Thank you Mark, like your bacon mushroom chicken this will be made often.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 4 chicken breast halves, with skin and bones (2 to 2 1/4 lb)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mince garlic and mash to a paste with salt using a large heavy knife.
- Mash together butter, oregano, red pepper flakes, and garlic paste with a fork until well blended.
- Pat chicken dry.
- Cut a 2-inch-long pocket horizontally in side of each chicken breast half and fill each pocket with 2 teaspoons oregano garlic butter.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook chicken, skin sides down, uncovered, until well browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and cover skillet, then cook until chicken is just cooked through about 10 minutes more.
- Spread remaining oregano garlic butter over skin of chicken.