Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This is a yummy somewhat sweet stuffing with lots of dried fruit in it. It is based on a food network recipe but I have made my own additions and some dried fruit substitutions due to allergies. It is a thanksgiving favorite.
- 1 loaf panettone
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh sage leaves
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 1 1⁄2 cups minced onions
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 cup minced carrot
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- Cut panettone into small cubes.
- Melt and brown half of the butter and add 2 T sage. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss sage butter with panettone.
- Spread panettone crutons in single layer on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. (This can be done one or two days ahead.
- Plumb dried fruit in boiling water for ten minutes and drain.
- Brown turkey sausage and drain on paper towels.
- Add butter to pan and sweat onions, celery and carrots and remaining T of sage. Do not brown.
- In a large bowl toss panettone crutons, sausage, dried fruit and vegetables. Add crushed fennel seeds and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add enough broth to moisten.
- Bake in a greased oven safe dish at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.