Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
these fruit studded cookies are reminiscent of the Italian sweet bread known as panetonne that's often served at Christmas
- 1 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon anise seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon finely chopped citron
- preheat oven to 375*.
- in a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium -high speed for 30 seconds.
- add brown sugar, granulated sugar, anise seeds, baking soda and salt.
- Beat until combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed during mixing.
- beat in as much flour as you can with mixer.stir in remaining flour with a spoon --
- stir in raisins, pine nuts, if desired, and citron.
- drop dough by rounded tspoons 1" apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- bake in the preheated oven to 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- TO STORE:.
- place cookies in layers seperated by waxed aper in an airtight container, cover.
- store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Freeze up to 3 months.