Recipe by na #2
By Auntie Bob
Top Review by Maple
The taste is authentic.Hard to mix.I added more milk,as it did not POUR well. Would also halve the quantity of nuts and fruit. I think two TABLEspoons of baking powdermore appropriate than 2tsp.This did not rise well at 325 - at 1 hour and 15 min. in the oven I put heat up to 345 Could also use a bundt or angel cake pan but coffee can worked well. Not bad, but just as expensive as pannetone from the bakery.
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted and-cooled
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups slivered almonds
- 2 cups golden raisins
- 3 cups chopped mixed dried fruit
Directions See How It's Made
- What you do:.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a clean, empty 1-pound coffee can.
- Line bottom with a piece of waxed paper, cut to fit, and grease paper.
- In a large bowl beat eggs and sugar until thick and pale yellow, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in melted butter, lemon peel and extracts.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt and blend into egg mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir in almonds, raisins and dried fruit.
- Pour batter into prepared can and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes, or until bread is well browned and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool bread in can for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.
- (You may have to cut out the bottom of the can to push out cake.) To serve, cut into slices or wedges.
- Makes 1 loaf.