Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is a kitchen-tested recipe from the December 17,2008 Houston Chronicle.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 loaf panettone raisin bread
- 1⁄2 cup caramel, bits
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
Vanilla Cream Sauce
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Bread Pudding:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Microwave butter in a small bowl until melted, about 1 minute. Add brown sugar and set aside.
- Combine eggs, milk,,vanilla and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Slice bread into 1 inch cubes and add to egg batter, mixing gently until all bread is soaking in batter.
- Spray a 9 inch square baking dish with vegetable spray. Transfer bread-egg batter into baking dish.
- Top with butter and brown sugar mixture; sprinkle with carmel bits and pecans.
- Bake, covered, for 1 hour or until golden and bubbly.
- Vanilla Cream Sauce:.
- Whisk whipping cream, sugar and flour in a small saucepan.
- Add butter and cook, stirring constantly over medium heat, until butter is melted and mixture begins to boil.
- Continue cooking and stirring for 3 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Spoon over individual portions of bread pudding and serve warm or at room temperature.