1/31 Photos of Panettone
1 hr 30 mins
MOIST Panettone dotted with raisins and marzipan. The long rise creates a fermentation giving this bread flavor. This Moist sweet dough stays fresh a long time. Just wrap it snuggled in foil and then plastic wrap. Up to 1 week. Make great french toast and or bread pudding. This is a take off Jim Lahey's dough. he got me to make it! I hope you get to make it as well. So worth it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 cup water (divided)
- 3 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 vanilla bean, halved and split making 4 pieces
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 1/2 ounces marzipan
- 1 tablespoon butter, well chilled
- 1Soak raisins in rum and 2 tablespoons hot water till plump.
- 2Mix flour, sugar, salt, yeast, zest and vanilla bean in mixer on low speed until combined.
- 3Whisk the eggs, remaining water and honey together.
- 4With mixer at low speed pour in egg mixer into the flour mixture. Increase speed to medium-low to combine.
- 5Add 12 tablespoons butter one tablespoon at a time, mixing till all is incorporated increasing speed to med-high. Mix for 8-10 minutes till dough is smooth and elastic.
- 6Meanwhile drain raisins and combine with melted butter.
- 7Crumble marzipan.
- 8Stir in the raisins and marzipan.
- 9Place dough including vanilla bean in a large bowl covered with plastic wrap. Let rise till triple in volume about 12-15 hours in a draft free place. Oven is perfect for this. Overnight is ideal.
- 10Punch down and remove bean be sure to remove any of the seeds and mix into the dough, discarding the pods.
- 11On a work surface or sil pad dusted with flour place the dough. Dust the dough. Fold the edges into the center placing seam side down into a panettone mold, clean and dried generously buttered coffee can or a generously buttered bundt pan. Cover with a damp linen towel. NO terry towels! Let rise in a warm draft free spot for 5 hours.
- 12Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack lower 3rd of oven.
- 13Place mold on a cookie sheet pan. Using a sharp knife mark the raised dough with an X one inch deep and place the chilled butter into it.
- 14Bake till toothpick comes out slightly moist NOT wet. About 1 hour at this point it should be very dark.
- 15Cool completely before cutting.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Panettone
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.9
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 97.6 mg
- Sodium 241.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 17.0 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: