Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A famous Italian light/spongy cake made especially for Christmas.
- 250 g flour
- 10 g yeast, paste (or yeast powder)
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 75 g sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 150 g unsalted butter
- lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 150 g raisins
- 150 g candied fruit
- Dissolve the yeast paste and the sugar in the warm water and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Put the flour and lemon zest on a plain surface, make a hole in the center (like a volcano) and drop the yeast mixture in it, 6 of the egg yolks, salt and the vanilla.Knead until it is homogeneous and doesnt stick to fingers.
- Add the butter and keep kneading for about 10 more minutes. Put the dough on a bowl, cover with a towel and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Add the raisins and the candied fruits.
- Butter and flour a mold for souffle, drop the dough on it and let it rest again for 30 minutes.
- Brush with one egg yolk and make a small cross-cut on the dough´s surface. Put in a preheated oven at 350ºF (175ºC) for about one hour.