Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is very versatile, you can add in more veggies, use different types of meats or change the ingredients as you prefer. This is worth the effort and I promise you will not be disappointed. This recipe goes with Relajo (Salvadorean Red Chile Sauce). I usually make this with Turkey if I am preparing it during the holidays but this recipe I am featuring chicken for those that do not like turkey or are cooking during a time when turkey is not available for an inexpensive price.
- 2 roasting chickens
- 8 garlic cloves (peeled, left whole)
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro (left whole)
- 8 large hoagie rolls (I buy them freshly baked....makes for an excellent sandwich)
- 16 leaves green leaf lettuce (left whole)
- 1 cucumber (peeled and sliced in thin slices)
- 6 radishes (thinly sliced)
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- red chili sauce (Relajo (Salvadorean Red Chile Sauce))
- 1 head cauliflower (chopped into small florets)
- 1 large white onion (sliced into thin rings)
- 1 lb green beans (trimmed of ends)
- 2 large carrots (cut into match stick pieces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup mustard
- seasoning salt
- Place the two chickens, garlic, cilantro, and bouillon cubes in a large stock pot. Cover the chickens with water and bring to a boil. Continue boiling the chicken on medium heat until the juices run clear when poked with a knife or fork, about 30 minutes.
- Pull the chickens out of the liquid. Cover and set aside to cool.
- Next, place the green beans in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring them to a boil and continue boiling for 10 minutes. Add the carrots in with the green beans and continue to boil for an additional 5 minutes. Then, place the cauliflower and onions in a large bowl, pour the green beans, carrots, and boiling water over the onions and cauliflower. Set the bowl of veggies and hot water aside to cool.
- While the veggies are cooling heat the oil in a deep saute pan. Cut the chicken in desired pieces and rub the mustard onto the skin and outside of the chicken pieces. Sprinkle all of the chicken pieces with seasoning salt.
- Once the oil has reached 325°F, carefully add the pieces of chicken and pan fry them on each side for 5 minutes. Once the chicken has browned pull it out of the oil and place the pieces in a paper towel lined bowl. Set the chicken aside.
- Now, discard the liquid that the chickens cooked in and heat the empty pot on medium heat. Place the margarine in the pot and melt it. Add the veggies into the melted margarine with the Worcestershire sauce and celery salt. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Now to assemble the sandwiches. Place a hoagie bun on each plate. Spread the bun with mayonaise, line each hoagie with 2 pieces of lettuce, a couple cucumber slices, and a couple radish slices. Next, pull the chicken in pieces off of the bone and put the meat into each bun using one peice of chicken for each sandwich. Add a half cup of veggies to each sandwich on top of the meat and then finally ladle a large spoonful of the Recipe #332519 onto each of the sandwiches.
- You can also add Recipe #271297 (Curtido) on top of the sandwich if you prefer. This is traditional in most households.