1/1 Photo of Panera Mac & Cheese
Chef Shelby's Note:
I have been looking for this yummy, very filling recipe and finally found it on a People magazine website. I think it tastes exactly like Panera, especially when reheated. Don't forget to add milk when reheating. I am writing this recipe as published, adding my little notes. 12/13/11 - I am changing the hot sauce to optional...The second time I made this, my DH put a little more than the 1/4 tsp (probably 1 extra drop) and all you could taste was hot sauce. I started making it without the hot sauce and it's fine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) package small shell pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups 2% low-fat milk (I used 1% milk)
- 6 slices American cheese, chopped (I used Land O Lakes white, presliced from the deli)
- 1 cup extra-sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (I used an 8 oz block of Cabot Vermont extra sharp and cut into small pieces for better melting)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (I used a store brand)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (optional-I do not add this anymore. If you add too much then all you taste is the hot sauce)
- paprika (optional-I chose not to used it)
- 1Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- 2Melt butter in a Dutch oven over low heat. (I just used a regular pan) Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- 3Gradually whisk in milk, cook over medium heat, whisking until mixture thickens and is bubbly. Remove from heat.
- 4Add cheeses, mustard, salt, and hot sauce, stirring until cheese melts and sauce is smooth.
- 5Stir in pasta and cook over medium heat, 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with paprika if desired. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Pasta Shells Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta Shells Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Panera Mac & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 563.2
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 60.6 mg
- Sodium 718.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 22.4 g