1/1 Photo of Panera Mac & Cheese
Chef Shelby's Note:
I have been looking for this yummy, very filling recipe and finally found it on a People magazine website. I think it tastes exactly like Panera, especially when reheated. Don't forget to add milk when reheating. I am writing this recipe as published, adding my little notes. 12/13/11 - I am changing the hot sauce to optional...The second time I made this, my DH put a little more than the 1/4 tsp (probably 1 extra drop) and all you could taste was hot sauce. I started making it without the hot sauce and it's fine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) package small shell pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups 2% low-fat milk (I used 1% milk)
- 6 slices American cheese, chopped (I used Land O Lakes white, presliced from the deli)
- 1 cup extra-sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (I used an 8 oz block of Cabot Vermont extra sharp and cut into small pieces for better melting)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (I used a store brand)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (optional-I do not add this anymore. If you add too much then all you taste is the hot sauce)
- paprika (optional-I chose not to used it)
- 1Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- 2Melt butter in a Dutch oven over low heat. (I just used a regular pan) Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- 3Gradually whisk in milk, cook over medium heat, whisking until mixture thickens and is bubbly. Remove from heat.
- 4Add cheeses, mustard, salt, and hot sauce, stirring until cheese melts and sauce is smooth.
- 5Stir in pasta and cook over medium heat, 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with paprika if desired. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Pasta Shells Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Panera Mac & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 563.2
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 60.6 mg
- Sodium 718.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 22.4 g