Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Toasted and buttered ciabatta is just the right platform for this breakfast favorite, enlivened with the taste of fresh herbs.
- 2 loaves ciabatta, from panera (cut in half lengthwise and toasted)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces fresh crabmeat
- 8 poached eggs
- 1⁄2 cup of quick hollandaise sauce (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 4 lemon wedges
Quick Hollandaise Sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 cup butter, melted and hot (2 sticks)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced parsley, thyme (optional) or 1 teaspoon basil (optional)
- For the Quick Hollandaise Sauce, place egg yolks in the blender. Blend at low speed until thoroughly mixed. While the motor is running, slowly add the boiling water, followed by the hot butter. The butter should be added very slowly in the thinnest stream possible. When the butter is completely incorporated, add the lemon juice, salt and herbs if you're using them. If the sauce is too thick, add a few drops of boiling water. The sauce will hold as you poach the eggs and prepare the other ingredients.
- Butter the toasted ciabatta to taste.
- Spread 1/4 of the crabmeat over each half of the ciabatta loaf.
- Gently place two poached eggs on top of the crabmeat.
- Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of hollandaise sauce over each egg.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of chopped chives over the sauce and serve immediately.
- A bowl of the remaining hollandaise sauce and fresh lemon wedges can accompany the meal.