Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the Panera Bread Cookbook.
Make and share this Panera Country Bread and Tomato Soup With Mashed Basil Oil recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, packed
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes or 12 roma tomatoes, peeled
- 1 quart water or 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine (Burgundy, Merlot, Pinot Grigio or Shiraz are all acceptable)
- 1 loaf country bread, torn into bite-size pieces
- Mash the basil well with 1/2 cup of the oil and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1/4 cup oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Cook the garlic, red pepper and oregano just until the garlic begins to sizzle.
- Crush the tomatoes with your hands over the saucepan, making sure to include all of the juice.
- Add the water or stock and red wine.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the bread and remove from heat.
- Serve immediately, drizzling the soup generously with the mashed basil oil.