Recipe by chefnini
A very good broccoli cheese soup. Served with crusty bread.
Top Review by petsvet
I just read about a hundred of these reviews...I think its funny how people say "this doesn't taste at all like Panera" and then go on about how they changed this and that part of the recipe when they tried it:-) I have not yet made this, but when I do I'll be using vegetable broth (not sure if I should use that or chicken-style vegetarian broth). Even so, a suggestion that might be helpful. The people that say it was flavorless...my guess is if you use a high quality sharp cheddar like Cabot instead of Kraft it will make it much more flavorful. And then it seems like most of the people that really disliked this recipe said it was much too thick. The recipe didn't specify whether or not to cover while simmering, but that can impact how thick the soup is as can the size/shape of the pot and what your definition of a "simmer" and "low heat" are, among other things. Its easy enough to replace water that has evaporated or add more broth (depending on how the too thick soup tastes)...silly to grudgingly eat it or throw it out because its too thick!
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1⁄2 medium chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 lb fresh broccoli (chopped into bite size pieces)
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- crusty bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion in butter. Set aside.
- Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and add the half & half.
- Add the chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper. Can be puréed in a blender but I don't. Return to heat and add cheese. Stir in nutmeg.
- Serve with crusty bread and Enjoy :).