This is my favorite sandwich at Panera so I was happy to find the recipe and share! It's a terrific way to use up leftover spinach artichoke dip, or an excuse to make some up...try Low Fat Spinach and Artichoke Dip or Skinny Spinach Artichoke Dip to cut out some of the fat.
- 1 loaf pesto focaccia bread
- 8 ounces freshly sliced turkey
- 4 ounces spinach artichoke spread (Available at your local grocer)
- 2 ounces asiago cheese (asiago parmesan blend)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 -2 tomato, sliced (6-8 slices)
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat panini grill to medium temperature. In a medium sauce pan, sauté diced red onion in olive oil until transparent. Add balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the loaf of pesto focaccia into two semi-circles, and halve each semi-circle. Layer the turkey onto the bottom halves of the focaccia bread, and spread spinach artichoke mix over turkey. Layer sautéed onions, asiago/parmesan blend and tomato slices. Close face of panini with the top halves of focaccia bread.
- Add panini to preheated grill and press lightly. Grill 5 minutes on medium or until the cheese begins to melt and there are grill marks on the focaccia bread.
- Serve hot with chips or your favorite soup!