Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I've never been to Panera Bread, so I couldn't tell you if this is similar. I can tell you it's delicious and simple to make. I didn't have bacon, but it's still delicious even without. I topped mine with cheese and left the skin on my potatoes. Recipe courtesy of Lynn's Kitchen Adventures (she found a copy cat version of the recipe and tweaked it to her liking). YUMMY! Serving size is estimated.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese (cut into chunks, at room temperature)
- 4 slices bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- Combine broth, potatoes, and spices.
- Boil on medium heat until potatoes are tender.
- Smash a few potatoes to release the starch for thickening.
- If you like it chunky just smash a small amount of potato, but if you want it smooth smash more potatoes.
- Reduce to low heat and add cream cheese.
- Heat, stirring frequently, until cheese melts.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Sprinkle a little bacon over each bowl of soup.
i added onions, carrots, celery, and minced garlic to mine because it was just too "blah" without it. But once I added those ingredients to was the best potato soup I have had!
I added minced onions, sliced carrots and replaced the bacon with diced ham...very tasty soup recipe! Thanks for sharing