Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
I made this for dinner tonight and it was so delicious. Creamy and not too thick, and tons of flavor. Recipe from Key Ingredient.
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups bouillon
- 1⁄2 lb fresh broccoli
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Saute onion in butter. Set aside. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half (this is called making a roux). Add the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now. Pour in batches into blender and puree. Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended. Stir in the nutmeg and serve.
This was amazing! I can't wait to make it again, this batch did not last long at all. Like comment below mine, I also did not puree the veggies.
This is a wonderful soup. When making the roux, I added the broth to the flour/butter mixture instead of the milk. ( I was afraid of curdling.) When somewhat thick I added the veggies and simmered for the designated time. Instead of the half and half and used a combination of evaporated milk and almond milk. I did not puree the veggies.