Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I can't tell you if this is like Panera Bread or not because I've never been there, but this is a good soup. I added a little salt and pepper and red pepper to spice it up, but the recipe doesn't call for it. Recipe from www.lynnskitchenadventures.com (she came up with this recipe by trying several online recipes and taking what she liked from each to come up with the closest Panera copycat). Serving size is estimated.
- Steam broccoli until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Chop broccoli finely (you can use a food processor if you like).
- In a large saucepan, combine broth and milk and slowly whisk in flour.
- Cover over medium to medium high heat and stir.
- Cook until it starts to thicken (just until it starts to boil).
- Add chopped broccoli.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Continue to cook about 5 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir until cheese melts.
- If using bacon, sprinkle each bowl with bacon.
I chose this recipe because I have three daughters who love Panera Broccoli Cheddar soup. After I looked at it, I wondered if it could be as good because it was so simple. I added a bit of dried minced onion and used vegetable stock and low fat cheddar. I just cooked the broccoli in the stock, then pureed it. It was fantastic! It was thicker than Panera's, which I liked, but for the girls, I might use less flour next time. They also suggested adding some chopped carrot, which I may try. This is a keeper!!
I followed the recipe exactly and it tasted exactly like the soup i had just bought at the store!!!<br/>The only think I will do different next time is double the amount,
This was really good soup. Mine didn't really thicken up so next time I'll add more flour and that suggested carrot.