Recipe by Kendra PeloJoaquin
Yummy Veggie Koftas! This recipe is from www.seattleguru.com. I love spinach, and paneer and koftas, so I am so happy about this recipe. Some people prefer to use tofu or cottage cheese instead of paneer, but I find that it's very easy to make my own with milk, lemon juice and cheese cloth, and TOTALLY worth it.
Top Review by Elmotoo
This took me more than an hour to prepare. BUT, this is my first time trying koftas. It's not a diffcult recipe, just a bit time consuming. I *did* find paneer in the freezer of the Indian market. I didn't have whole garam masala, so I used ground. I had only whole kasuri methi, I now have ground. LOL. It didn'y say to in the recipe, but I squeezed the spinach as dry as I could. I was amazed at how thinly I could spread the spinach mixture & easily molded around the paneer. On a few koftas, the spinach pulled away from the paneer when frying. Delicious nonetheless. VERY DELICIOUS!!! The sauce was delicious. We gobbled them all up & wanted more. Thank you for sharing! Made for PAC Spring '07.
- 600 g spinach
- 125 g panir
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped green chilies
- 3 teaspoons cornflour
- oil (for deep frying)
- salt, as per taste
- 1 tablespoon whole garam masala
- 400 g tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chili
- 100 ml fresh cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kasuri methi
- 50 g butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar or 2 teaspoons honey
- salt, as per taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash spinach in plenty of running water to get rid of any dirt, soil or impurities.
- Blanch spinach in boiling hot water and refresh in cold water.
- Chop and keep aside.
- Add chopped green chillies, salt, chopped garlic and corn flour.
- Mix well and divide into 12 equal portions.
- Grate paneer.
- Add salt and mash well.
- Divide it into 12 small balls.
- Take spinach, flatten it on your palm and stuff paneer balls in it.
- Shape it into a ball (kofta).
- Deep fry for 5 minutes in moderately hot oil.
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Add Whole garam masala.
- Let it crackle.
- Then add ginger paste, garlic paste and chopped green chillies.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, red chilli powder, Garam masala powder, salt in one cup of water.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add sugar or honey or both and kasoori methi.
- Stir in fresh cream.
- Serve koftas cut into halves on top of makhani gravy.
- Do not boil koftas in the gravy.