Jalfrezi refers to a dish cooked with peppers and onions. Monisha Bharadwaj suggests to serve this with roti (bread) and nothing else. However, I served this with plain basmati rice which was lovely. The recipe has been adapted from Monisha Bharadwaj's beautiful book India's Vegetarian Cooking - A Regional Guide. It serves 2 as a main dish together with Indian bread or rice or 4 as a side dish accompanied by another Indian dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 large onion, halved and finely sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 small green pepper, quartered, deseeded and sliced (150g)
- 2 ripe tomatoes, quartered and sliced
- 150 g panir, cubed
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped (=cilantro)
- 1Heat oil in a skillet and fry cumin seeds for one minute.
- 2Add onion and fry on low heat until soft. Add more oil if necessary.
- 3Add ginger and garlic paste and fry for a few seconds until well blended.
- 4Sprinkle in the spice powders and some salt and cook on low heat until the oil begins to separate in about 3 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent scorching.
- 5Add the sliced pepper pieces, stir and simmer gently until they are nearly done but still hold their shape, for about 8 minutes.
- 6Add the tomatoes and paneer and cook for about 2 minutes until soft but not mushy; the tomatoes will begin to soften at once because of the salt that has already been added.
- 7Check the seasoning (you may need to add a little bit more salt, take off the heat and serve hot, sprinkled with fresh coriander.
- 8Serve with Indian bread as suggested by Monisha Bharadway or with basmati rice and another Indian dish/other Indian dishes.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paneer Jalfrezi (Paneer With Green Peppers, Onions and Tomatoes)
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.2
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 19.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: