Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I borrowed this recipe from my North Indian friend. This goes well with naans, phulkas, fried rice & pulaos this dish is calcium rich as it contains paneer.
- 250 g panir
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- salt, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 4 teaspoons cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons kasuri methi
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- Grind the chopped onions, garlic & ginger into a coarse paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp butter in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and cardamom.
- Fry 4 seconds.
- Now add the paste (onion, ginger, garlic coarse paste with less or no water).
- Fry it till golden brown.
- Add all the dry powders, sugar, tomato puree; fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add 2 cups water,reduce heat to low let the gravy simmer for 8 minutes.
- Now mix in cream, rest of the butter, kasuri methi & paneer.
- Also the salt as per taste.
- Cook till paneer is soft.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped coriander.
- One can substitute milk for cream if diet conscious.
DH made this last night for dinner. It was hearty and not that difficult to prepare. DH said the ingredients/directions were a little unclear (for example the ingredients didn't say to make a paste out of the onion, garlic, ginger so he was unprepared for that step in the directions). We had all ingredients on hand and made no substitutions. We had no difficulty with the consistency using 2 cups of water.
it was goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!! but 1 cup of water is enough....
What a great recipe! I did not have kasuri methi (fenugreek) so I used chinese cabbage leaf instead. I also added a tablespoon of tomato ketchup with the tomato puree. And I used one cup skim milk and one cup water instead of 2 cups water. The end result was simply finger licking good (literally). My husband licked the gravy off the plate with his finger!