Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A richly coloured, flavoured and textured Punjabi curry.
- 1 cup panir, cut into 1-inch cubes (cottage cheese)
- 1 cup sweet corn, boiled
- 1⁄2 cup onion puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick (25 mm.)
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 tomatoes, pureed
- 1⁄2 cup curds, beaten
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons oil
- broken cashews
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 inch piece gingerroot (12 mm)
- 3 tablespoons warm milk
- Soak the cashew nuts and poppy seeds in warm milk for 25 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and grind to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions, bay leaf, cinnamon and cloves and sauté till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the chili powder, ground paste and tomatoes and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the curds, cream, sugar, garam masala and salt and simmer till the gravy thickens and the oil separates from the masala.
- Add some water to thin down the gravy if required. Add the paneer and corn and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.