- 8 slices mozzarella cheese (plain or smoked or a combo)
- 4 slices prosciutto (paper-thin slices)
- 8 slices Italian bread, 1/2-inch thick
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, bruised with the side of a knife
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the mozzarella slices and prosciutto between the bread slices to make 4 sandwiches.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in a shallow bowl/pie plate.
- Dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture to coat.
- Heat the oil, butter, and garlic in a medium skillet until the garlic begins to sizzle and turns golden; discard the garlic.
- Add the sandwiches and cook over med-low heat until the bread is golden and the cheese melts, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Cut in half and serve immediately.