Recipe by Demandy
This is from wikicookbooks. I have never tried it but here for safe keeping. Pandora's Feast is a complete vegan meal that can be served several times a week due to the ease with which it can be modified. The meal is easy to prepare in a rice cooker.
Top Review by kittygodiva2000
This turned out perfectly! For my first time making it I followed the recipe closely - but I did rinse and drain the rice first. I'm in Korea so the rice here is a little different (it's short grain and rather glutenous): brown and black rice have to be rinsed. It was very good as is, but I think could be seasoned to taste very easily in any direction - basil, cajan, curry... I also think a splash of a nice quality vinegar would be nice. And next time I will use more garlic - I used 1 close this time. Very easy and very fast - oh, and the veggies cooked perfectly! Bonus!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
Some or all of the following
- 1 cup black beans or 1 cup other beans
- thai sweet black rice
- 1 cup potato, cubed
- 1 cup sweet potato, cubed
- 1 cup squash, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup beet, cubed
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- olive oil (optional) or other nutritious oil (optional)
- nutritional yeast (optional)
- soy sauce (optional)
- black sesame seed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the brown rice and water to the rice cooker. If you have "Thai sweet black rice" or "Chinese forbidden black rice", replace about 10% of your brown rice with this and your finished product will be a lovely purple and will have a different taste.
- The beans should either be pre-soaked (preferred) or from a can. Drain, rinse, and add these to the rice cooker. If you're presoaking, the beans need about 8 hours to soak.
- If using, add the garlic the cooker.
- If using, add the sweet potato, squash, beet or potato, chop into cubes 1cm x 1cm for optimal cooking.
- On a fuzzy logic cooker, set the cooker to the brown rice setting and turn it on. For an on/off cooker, turn it on.
- If using, chop the kale.
- In about 20–40 minutes, your cooker will complete cooking the rice. When the cooker is finished, open the lid, add the kale, and wait about another minute or two.
- Open and serve. Top with oil, yeast, soy sauce and/or sesame seeds, to taste.