Recipe by MissTiff16
Copy Cat Recipe. I received a ton from my mom.. Here's another. I haven't adjusted anything :O) On some I had to guess on the time and servings if I haven't tried them.
Top Review by Trs
I've gotta say that the sauce was pretty gross to me. I made some substitutions which may partly explain the awful flavor. Or perhaps it's because I multiplied this up to 18 servings and something didn't scale right. In any case... the sauce was way too bitter and tasted like it needed a ton more sugar or way less orange zest.
Chicken Stock -> Chicken Ramen Broth
Orange Juice -> Tang
Rice Wine -> Sherry
Orange Zest -> Orange Peel from a store shaker (probably where the bitterness came from)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, chopped into pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- white pepper
- oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, plus
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 dash hot red chili pepper, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon sesame oil
Orange Sauce for Stir Fry
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, minced
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- For Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Chicken: Cut chicken pieces in 2-inch squares and place in large bowl. Stir in egg, salt, pepper and 1 TB oil and mix well. Stir cornstarch and flour together.
- Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat.
- Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375°F Add chicken pieces, a small batch at a time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- (Do not overcook chicken or chicken will be tough). Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Clean wok and heat 15 seconds over high heat. Add 1 TB oil. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant. Add and stir-fry crushed chiles and green onions. Add rice wine and stir 3 seconds. Add Orange Sauce and bring to boil. Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed. Stir water into remaining 1 TB cornstarch until smooth. Add to chicken and heat until sauce is thick. Stir in 1 ts sesame oil. Serve at once.