Recipe by flume027
A copycat recipe from Panda Express. This chicken is tangy and flavorful. Give it a try! I'm sure you and your family will enjoy it.
Top Review by breezermom
I have mixed feelings about this recipe....the instructions are horrible for the first part......I made as posted and the flour/egg mix just clumped up. Made lumpy bumps that had to be spread over the chicken. The chicken should be dipped in the egg mixture, then tossed in the cornstarch mix. It would save a lot of work. I loved the sauce, and agree with other posters that it should be doubled....it is sooo good! For a beginner cook, I'm afraid this would be so confusing that they would give up, which isn't good. This recipe is good and deserves a chance, but the instructions are so confusing that many will not make this recipe. I can't compare this to Panda Express, as I've never had it. But the sauce is delicious if you can figure out how to make the first part of the recipe!! I enjoyed this, but the instructions just aren't clear enough.I would dip in the egg first and then the cornstarch/flour mix. Really enjoyed the finished product! Thanks for sharing a delicious recipe.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- white pepper
- oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, plus
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 orange, zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken pieces in large bowl, set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well, set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together 1/2 cup of the cornstarch and the flour.
- Coat chicken pieces with egg mixture, then add to flour mixture, stirring to coat.
- Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375 degrees.
- Add chicken, small batches at a time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden crisp.
- (Do not overcook chicken).
- Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; set aside.
- Clean wok and heat 15 seconds over high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant; about 10 seconds.
- Add and stir-fry crushed chiles and green onions.
- Add rice wine and stir 3 seconds.
- Add Orange Sauce and bring to boil.
- Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed.
- Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth and add to chicken.
- Heat until sauce is thickned.
- Stir in sesame oil and orange zest if desired.
- Serve over jasmine rice.