Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A copycat recipe from Panda Express. This chicken is tangy and flavorful. Give it a try! I'm sure you and your family will enjoy it.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- white pepper
- oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch, plus
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed hot red chili pepper
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
Orange Sauce for Stir Fry
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 orange, zest of
- Place chicken pieces in large bowl.
- Stir in egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well.
- Stir cornstarch and flour together.
- Coat with egg mixture.
- Coat with flour mixture.
- Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat.
- Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375 degrees.
- Add chicken, small batches at a time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden crisp.
- (Do not overcook chicken).
- Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; set aside.
- Clean wok and heat 15 seconds over high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant; about 10 seconds.
- Add and stir-fry crushed chiles and green onions.
- Add rice wine and stir 3 seconds.
- Add Orange Sauce and bring to boil.
- Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed.
- Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth and add to chicken.
- Heat until sauce is thickned.
- Stir in sesame oil and orange zest if desired.
- Serve over jasmine rice.
I have mixed feelings about this recipe....the instructions are horrible for the first part......I made as posted and the flour/egg mix just clumped up. Made lumpy bumps that had to be spread over the chicken. The chicken should be dipped in the egg mixture, then tossed in the cornstarch mix. It would save a lot of work. I loved the sauce, and agree with other posters that it should be doubled....it is sooo good! For a beginner cook, I'm afraid this would be so confusing that they would give up, which isn't good. This recipe is good and deserves a chance, but the instructions are so confusing that many will not make this recipe. I can't compare this to Panda Express, as I've never had it. But the sauce is delicious if you can figure out how to make the first part of the recipe!! I enjoyed this, but the instructions just aren't clear enough.I would dip in the egg first and then the cornstarch/flour mix. Really enjoyed the finished product! Thanks for sharing a delicious recipe.
I have just completed this recipe. It is a very good recipe for orange chicken. It does not taste like Panda Express' orange chicken. It actually taste better than Panda Express. This recipe has a true orange zest! I must agree with others reviewers that the instructions are not too clear. I deviated slightly from the recipe based on previous comments. I put the chicken in the egg mixture first and then took each piece out and coated it with cornstarch only. Then I put the chicken in the deep fryer. I used garlic powder instead of garlic. For the sauce itself, I substituted the water and vinegar with orange juice. This will help enhance the flavor of the sauce. Also I used about 1/3 of an orange for the zest. It came out great! The only bad point I had ..this recipe was time consuming and the unclear instructions. The real secret to this recipe is that true orange taste from the sauce. Also you may want to cut back on the crushed chili pepper! And definitely double up on your sauce! I will definitely be making the sauce again. This is the best orange chicken that I have tasted.
i didnt follow the first part of this recipe exactly because i was trying to make it healthier. I just browned the chicken in a shot of pam instead of coating it and deepfrying it. After that i followed it exactly. The sauce is what this recipe is really about anyway. Really enjoyed the sauce over the chicken and some rice and steamed broccoli will make again.