Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is the way my husband's family makes their pancit bihon. It is a huge hit with all my non-filipino friends as well. All of the meats are interchangeable and optional.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lb lean pork, fat trimmed
- 1 lb small shrimp, shelled
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 Chinese cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, julienned
- 1⁄4 cup sesame oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (may be substituted)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb rice noodles (or bean threads)
- Start by soaking rice stick noodles in warm water for 15 minutes or until softened, then drain.
- Bring chicken, pork and 1-1/2 cups water to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; shred the meat into small pieces- reserve the water.
- (A sturdy mixer such as a Kitchen Aid can be handy in shredding meat using the whisk attachment).
- Heat oil in a large, wide saute pan.
- Saute garlic and onion in oil until onion is translucent.
- Add shredded meat, shrimp and soy sauce and stir-fry 5 minutes.
- Over high heat, add cabbage, carrots, salt, pepper and 1 cup of broth.
- Stir fry for an additional 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add rice noodles, tossing gently (wooden spoons work best) until cooked through and well blended, approximately 3 minutes.
- If the mixture seems dry, add more broth.
- Serve immediately with soy sauce.
Perfect! Nothing more to say about it than that. Thanks for sharing!
thanks for this one. outstanding! my family loves it!