1/1 Photo of Pancit Bihon
Something new to try. I used a combination of recipes for this one and it tastes very much like the pancit I enjoyed from the many Filipino friends I made while my hubby was in the Navy. It looks like more work than it actually is...try it and have some fun.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 680.38 g cooked pork (see note)
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 44.37 ml soy sauce
- 14.79 ml fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 1 head cabbage, cut into 1 inch wedges
- 2 carrots, julienned in 2 inch lengths
- 2 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 170.09 g package shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 473.18 ml chicken broth
- 170.09 g package rice noodles
- 1 bunch green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 limes or 2 lemons, cut in wedges
- 1First a note*** I used left over pork roast cooked in the crockpot for this recipe.
- 2However, there are many variations of pancit-- some calling for a combination of pork, chicken, shrimp.
- 3You may start with raw meats just poach them in a small amount of water and cool and shred.
- 4Save the broth to use where chicken broth is called for later in the recipe.
- 5(Reserving 2 cups).
- 6Soak rice noodles in hot tap water in large bowl for about 20 minutes and then drain in colander.
- 7Do this while preparing vegetables.
- 8Heat oil to medium in a very large pan with deep sides.
- 9Saute onion and garlic 3 minutes.
- 10Add meat, soy sauce and fish sauce.
- 11(Another note, you may choose to add more fish sauce but this is really potent stuff. If you have never cooked with it before, stick to the recipe.)
- 12Turn up the heat to high.
- 13Add cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, celery, a pinch of salt and pepper and 1 cup of broth.
- 14Stir fry 2 minutes or until veggies are crisp tender.
- 15Reduce heat to low and add rice noodles, in small amounts, stirring to break up.
- 16Add broth as needed to keep mixture from becoming too dry.
- 17Cook just until noodles are warm.
- 18Serve with lime or lemon wedges, scallions to sprinkle on top and extra soy sauce.
- 19You may also offer cilantro leaves and or hard cooked egg slices.
Nutritional Facts for Pancit Bihon
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.2
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 55.7 mg
- Sodium 698.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 22.8 g