Something new to try. I used a combination of recipes for this one and it tastes very much like the pancit I enjoyed from the many Filipino friends I made while my hubby was in the Navy. It looks like more work than it actually is...try it and have some fun.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked pork (see note)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 1 head cabbage, cut into 1 inch wedges
- 2 carrots, julienned in 2 inch lengths
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) package shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) package rice noodles
- 1 bunch green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 limes or 2 lemons, cut in wedges
- First a note*** I used left over pork roast cooked in the crockpot for this recipe.
- However, there are many variations of pancit-- some calling for a combination of pork, chicken, shrimp.
- You may start with raw meats just poach them in a small amount of water and cool and shred.
- Save the broth to use where chicken broth is called for later in the recipe.
- (Reserving 2 cups).
- Soak rice noodles in hot tap water in large bowl for about 20 minutes and then drain in colander.
- Do this while preparing vegetables.
- Heat oil to medium in a very large pan with deep sides.
- Saute onion and garlic 3 minutes.
- Add meat, soy sauce and fish sauce.
- (Another note, you may choose to add more fish sauce but this is really potent stuff. If you have never cooked with it before, stick to the recipe.)
- Turn up the heat to high.
- Add cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, celery, a pinch of salt and pepper and 1 cup of broth.
- Stir fry 2 minutes or until veggies are crisp tender.
- Reduce heat to low and add rice noodles, in small amounts, stirring to break up.
- Add broth as needed to keep mixture from becoming too dry.
- Cook just until noodles are warm.
- Serve with lime or lemon wedges, scallions to sprinkle on top and extra soy sauce.
- You may also offer cilantro leaves and or hard cooked egg slices.