Recipe by ChamoritaMomma
Not a traditional Chamorro dish, but it's always seen on fiesta tables or at barbeques. This is one of my favorites!
Top Review by NurseJaney
*Made for PAC, Spring '08" - had enjoyed Pancit when working with a Philippine nurse several years ago, but she gave me the sauce packet. I got to make it up myself, this time. Varied a tad -- Chef said you could use any type of protein -- I had a 1 pound pack of Trader Joe's Mixed Seafood, which I sauteed instead of the chicken. I also added 2 chopped, hard-boiled eggs (from my experience with her). This was really different from our usual meal -- DH just loved the rice noodles (Bihon), and wants to try them in some of his Thai recipes. Thanks for posting, ChamoritaMomma !!
- 2 (8 ounce) packages rice sticks
- 3 -4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 -6 large carrots, julienned
- 3 large celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, cut in chunks
- 1 cup chicken broth, more if needed
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup soy sauce, depending on taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 -4 lemons, fresh, wedged
Directions See How It's Made
- Sautee half of the onions and garlic in 2 tablespoons oil over med-high heat until onions are semi-cooked. Add chicken and cook until done. Remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put rice noodles into a large bowl of very warm water and let soak until limp, you may want to cut noodles in half with kitchen shears after soaking.
- Saute the rest of the onions, celery, and carrots in 1 tablespoons oil for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, cabbage, soy sauce, and accent to the vegetable mixture. Add the chicken back in and add drained noodles. Stir mixture and cover pot and allow to cook for 10-15 min., stirring occasionally and checking liquid. You may add more broth if liquid boils out before the vegetables are tender.
- Season with black pepper and serve immediately with lemon wedges on the side. This dish is very good with fresh lemon squeezed over it!
- This can also be made with just vegetables, for a vegetarian version, or with shrimp, pork, beef, or a mixture of all.