Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Using the spices (that would make Pancetta) on the ham give it a fairly authentic flavor. This gives this Carbonara a little zing. When I first looked at the ingredients, I thought, "Really?", but it is Deeeelicious! Caveat - this might be a twice a year thing, as I'm pretty sure the cholesterol levels are going to pushing the limit in this dish. Just don't have ice cream for dessert, OK?
- Place linguini in boiling, salted water & boil until al dente.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, half & half, & parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Heat 2 T olive oil in frying pan over medium-high heat & add onion. Saute until golden & translucent. Remove to a large bowl & cover to keep warm.
- Heat 2 T olive oil in the same frying pan, add ham & toss until browned. Add spices & toss for 1 or 2 minutes, more.
- Add onions back to the pan.
- Over low heat, slowly add the egg, half & half, cheese mixture, stirring. Cook & gently stir until heated through, taking care not to scramble the eggs.
- Pour all into large bowl onions were in, sprinkle with chopped parsley, & serve with a crunchy salad & crispy bread.