1 hr 25 mins
This is loosely based on a recipe from the Sacramento Bee more than 10 years ago. Although a little labor intensive, they've been a big success as a brunch contribution or cut into pieces as a cocktail party item. Feel free to add more meat, onions, seasonings if you feel like it. The original recipe actually used pepperoni.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb pancetta, sliced about 1/4 inch thick at the deli
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning (e.g., Spice Islands)
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese (not the green can type)
- 2 loaves bridgeford frozen bread dough, thawed
- flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten and mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Chop the pancetta into very small dice and saute in a little olive oil until crispy.
- 2Remove meat and put aside in a bowl.
- 3In the same pan cook the onion until softened.
- 4Stir in the Italian herbs and cook a minute or so longer.
- 5Combine the onion mixture with the pancetta.
- 6Line two cookie sheets or jelly roll pans with baking parchment.
- 7Roll the bread out into two 8 x 14 inch rectangles on a lightly floured surface.
- 8Distribute the filling mixture over one of the rectangles.
- 9Sprinkle half the cheese over the filling.
- 10Place the second dough rectangle over this and press lightly to adhere.
- 11Slice into 1/2 inch thick sticks.
- 12(Cut in half or four if you want smaller sticks.).
- 13Twist them as you transfer to the prepared baking pans.
- 14This is a little messy, and you will need to poke the filling back in on some of the sticks.
- 15Let rise, covered, until double, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- 16Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the reserved cheese.
- 17Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven until deep golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- 18Makes about 28 full size sticks.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pancetta Breadsticks
Serving Size: 1 (16 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 28
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 38.8
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 13.8 mg
- Sodium 111.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen bread dough