Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This simple Italian tart can be served warm as a starter or light meal, or cold as a delightful picnic snack.
- 1 lb shortcrust pastry
- 7 ounces smoked pancetta, diced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 pinch dried chili
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Roll the pastry out on a floured surface and use it to line a greased 9in loose-bottomed tart tin. Prick the base, line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans, then bake 'blind' for 10 minutes.
- Remove the paper and beans and lower the oven to 350°F
- Cook the pancetta for 3-4 minutes in a non-stick frying pan and drain on absorbent paper: it will release a lot of oil.
- Beat together the cream, whole eggs and egg yolks until well blended. Stir in the Parmesan, pancetta, chilli flakes and some black pepper then pour into the tart case. Bake for 25 minutes until just set.
- Carefully remove the tart from the tin and cut into slices. Serve warm or cold.