Prep 3 mins
Cook 8 mins
This recipe came from Trader Joes and it is wonderful! Crunchy, sweet, tart and salty. Perfection.
- 2 ounces pancetta (diced)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 4 -6 cups mixed greens (1 bag)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries (I prefer the tart ones)
- 1⁄4 cup goat cheese
- 3⁄4 cup port wine
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, divided
- Saute pancetta and shallots in 1 tbsp olive oil for approx 3-4 minutes until shallots are transparent and pancetta is warmed.
- Add cherries and port, bringing to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cool slightly and whisk in remaining olive oil.
- Toss lettuce with the warm dressing and crumble goat cheese on top of each serving.
- Optional: Sprinkle with a few pecans.
This didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. The only pancetta available to me in Maine was sliced too thin to believe so it didn't render properly & crisp up. I think this is essential - the recipe says to 'warm through' - I think crispy is much better. The dressing was so sweet - even with tart cherries. I added a good dose of vinegar for balance. My greens wilted immediately in the warm dressing & were too soft/soggy. This would be great with radicchio & other strong, firm greens like curly endive. With a few adjustments, this could become a favorite because i ADORE the ingredients! Made for Aussie Swap 7/08.