Recipe by Chef floWer
Pancakes with Blood Orange Honey Sauce Garnished with Strawberries. Could be served for breakfast or desert. Makes up to 12 pancakes which are 1/4 cups in size each or 4 very large pancakes. Created for RSC #11.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Very, very nice 'cakes, these! I made the recipe as written (well, minus the fresh berries, this time around) & wasn't disappointed at all! i did use a mildly-flavored orange blossom honey, & that was great, but then, I also enjoy those sweet syrups, so . . . ! [Made & reviewed in Make My Recipe tag]
BLOOD ORANGE HONEY SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup blood orange juice, strained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces fresh strawberries, quarter
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, sifted
- 1 tablespoon white sugar, sifted
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- cooking spray, for pan
Directions See How It's Made
- Blood Orange Honey Sauce: In small saucepan, add honey, blood orange juice and cornflour, whisk well until sauce ingredients are blended.
- Put saucepan over a medium heat and bring mixture to a boil, whisking occasionally and cook until sauce starts to boil, then remove from heat.
- Whisk in butter until completely dissolved into the sauce. Set aside and allow cooling until pancakes are ready.
- Pancake: In a large bowl, add sifted flour, baking powder, salt and sugar, mix well and make a small well in the centre of the bowl with the dried ingredients.
- Add the egg in centre of the well, then add melted butter, slowly add milk and mix until smooth. (You may not need to add the entire 1 1/2 cups of milk, consistence of mixture needs to be smooth).
- Using the cooking spray, lightly oil pancake pan or non stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Once pan is hot, pour approximately 1/4 cup of pancake mixture onto the pan. Brown on one side of pancake then flip, brown other side of pancake, place cooked pancake onto a warm plate. Repeat this step until all the pancake mixture has completed. Note: Only flip once as pancake will become tough and not light.
- To assemble: Equally divided pancakes on four plates. Equally pour blood orange honey sauce on top of the pancakes and then add strawberries on top of the sauce.