Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are absolutely the best home made pancakes we have ever eaten!! They are super tall, light and fluffy and yet they don't get all mushy when syrup is added, they are EXCELLENT!!
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar (see note)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar (I used 3)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine the milk and vinegar in a small bowl for 10 minutes to "sour". This is an important step and it is called "soured milk" which is much different that sour milk. I guarantee you will NOT taste the vinegar in the final product. Set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk the soured milk, egg, vanilla and melted butter together. Pour into the dry ingredients and whisk until most of the lumps are gone, but DO NOT OVER BEAT!
- The batter will be thick, don't add any more liquid. LET THE BATTER SIT UNDISTURBED FOR TEN MINUTES!
- After 10 minutes, you will see bubbles in the batter, very important DO NOT STIR AGAIN.
- GENTLY dip out (don't pour out) 1/2 cup of batter and place it on a buttered grill or frying pan. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake and then flip with a spatula and brown the other side.