Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are the BEST pancakes I have ever made. They are so fluffy and taste just like the ones you get from a restaurant for breakfast. They taste best with ice-cream and maple syrup. If you don't have vegetable oil, canola oil is fine, but make sure to NOT use olive oil. as it gives a horrible flavour. Also if you dont have buttermilk, use normal milk with a few teaspoons of vinegar or lemon juice. My trick to making the pancakes thick and fluffy is to not spread out the batter once it is in the pan, otherwise they turn out rubbery.
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 600 ml buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- Beat eggs, milk and oil in a large bowl.
- In a seperate bowl sift baking powder, bicarb soda, sugar and flour.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and whisk until well combined.
- Heat a non-stick frypan over moderate heat and spray lightly with cooking spray, or melt 1/2 tsp of butter in the pan instead.
- Pour in 1/4 of the mixture and cook until bubbles appear on the top, and flip.
- Cook the other side until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining mixture.
This was the BEST pancake recipe I have ever made! I made regular and blueberry! The blueberry one's were amazing. Thanks for this recipe I will make from now on!
THICK they are, & TASTY, too! Buttermilk pancakes are a real comfort food! Had mine with some very soft (though frozen) vanilla yogurt & raspberries! Another time I'll try berries & some light corn syrup! Many thanks! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
These are really good! Nice and light. I put Recipe #121467 on them and they were so good with it. I also put a little bit more strawberry jam on them instead of syrup. I cut the recipe in half and there was still plenty of batter left over, I will make this again tomorrow for breakfast. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for PAC Fall '08. Adopted you as a "Preemie"