Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is really a great recipe! It is fast, simple and you usually have the ingredients on hand. I never use a mix! I got this from my sister years ago, and I have shared it many times.
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or 1/2 teaspoon honey or molasses)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Beat egg until fluffy.
- Add milk and melted margarine.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Heat a heavy griddle or fry pan which is greased with a little butter on a paper towel.
- The pan is hot enough when a drop of water breaks into several smaller balls which 'dance' around the pan.
- Pour a small amount of batter (approx 1/4 cup) into pan and tip to spread out or spread with spoon.
- When bubbles appear on surface and begin to break, turn over and cook the other side.
If u let the mix sit undisturbed for about 15-20 min, they will b real fluffy. A tip I got from a well known restaurant here. It does make a difference
Thank you for this delicious, easy recipe. I have tried to do pancakes from scratch before and all the recipes had me separating eggs, whipping egg whites, folding, using buttermilk, etc.! Finally, I gave up and just bought mixes. When I made these tonight, my husband asked me never to buy boxed mixes again and my 4 kids all agreed (me too)! By the way, I doubled the recipe and it came out fine (made 16 - 4" hearty thick pancakes). I had to add a little extra milk, because the batter was too thick, but flour acts differently in different temperatures, so that was probably why. Thanks again!
Ellen you have yourself a fantastic recipe here in that it's quick, simple and very delicious. My daughter loves pancakes and she wanted me to throw a handful of raspberries and chocolate chips in the batter and they were wonderful. I like the idea of being able to walk over to the pantry and pull some basic ingredients and wala! we have pancakes. Thanks again Ellen for the great recipe. I'm submitting a photo in gratitude.