Recipe by Sackville
Delia Smith said on one of her shows that it is traditional in some parts of Italy to make stuffed cannelloni with pancakes instead of pasta. All you need are some crepes (which can be made ahead of time and frozen until needed) and some of your favourite bolognaise sauce. I would use a thick and chunky one, with lots of meat and vegetables.
- 12 -14 crepes
- 8 ounces bolognese sauce
For the bechamel sauce
- 3 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄2 ounces plain flour
- 15 fluid ounces cold milk
- freshly grated nutmeg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the topping
- 1 1⁄2 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 200C or 400 degrees F.
- Make the béchamel sauce by the all-in-one method.
- That means to add everything (except the mozzarella) to a saucepan and whisk over a medium heat till smooth and thickened.
- Continue to cook gently for 5 minutes, whisking now and then to prevent it sticking.
- Now lay the pancakes out and place an equal quantity (about 1 heaped tbsp) of cold bolognese sauce on each one and roll it up, folding in the edges.
- Next lay the pancakes in an ovenproof dish side by side with the ends tucked up underneath.
- Sprinkle over the grated mozzarella.
- Pour the bechamel sauce over the top to give an even covering.
- Finally sprinkle over the grated parmesan and oil and place the dish on a high shelf in the oven for 30 minutes or until the surface is golden and the sauce bubbling.