Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a spicy curry dish from Thailand with the Panang Curry paste being is a little milder then the other curries. The typical Panang curry uses for meat, but I add some vegetables as well. And using the Slow Cooker makes for a perfectly nice and taste curry dish.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon panang curry paste (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 lbs beef, chunks (stewing meat)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 small hot chili pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon anchovies or 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 small carrot
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dry basil
- 1 mild pepper (red, green, yellow)
- 2 cups snow pea pods or 2 cups broccoli or 2 cups other vegetables
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring (Bijol seasoning, coloring optional)
- 8 basil leaves (to garnish)
- Remove the seeds from the hot chili pepper and cut into small pieces, set aside.
- Scrap off the skin from the carrot, cut into rounds, set aside.
- Chop up the basil leaves, set aside.
- Remove the seeds from the red/green/yellow pepper and cut into pieces, set aside.
- Using other vegetables of your choice, clean as required, cut into bite size pieces, set aside.
- COOKING INSTRUCTIONS-.
- Heat oil in a pan or wok, add the curry paste, then add the coriander and cumin powder and stir fry for a minute or two.
- Add the meat and braise on all sides.
- Then add the coconut milk, lower heat and simmer for a few minutes.
- Next add the meat and coconut milk to a Slow Cooker.
- Add the hot pepper, anchovies, sugar, peanut butter and stir/mix into the meat/coconut milk and place the cover on.
- Now set the Slow Cooker to cook for 3 hours on the high temperature setting.
- Half way through the cooking time, add the carrots.
- At about 2 hours add the carrot and a quick stir.
- At about 2 ½ hours add the balance of the vegetables, a quick stir and put the cover back on.
- When finished stir in Bijol seasoning for color, if desired.
- Serve with rice in individual bowls or plates, topped with a few basil leaves and enjoy!
- This is a milder curry paste then the other Thai curries, using 1 tablespoon should be enough and if you add some hot peppers as well. At around 2 ½ hours the meat is tender, but at 3 hours more so… depending on the cut of meat used. Finally temperatures for different Slow Cookers will vary, so cook accordingly for a nice meal.