Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Authentic and delicious made with homemade red curry paste, but almost as good with store-bought :-) Adapted from a recipe by Somi Miller and Patricia Lake.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (beef mince, 500g)
- 1⁄2 cup flour (60g)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk (350ml)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 2 -3 teaspoons brown sugar or 2 -3 teaspoons palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or 2 tablespoons basil leaves, to garnish
- Roll the ground beef into round balls 2.5 cm (1") in diameter. Place the flour in a plastic bag, add the beef balls a few at a time and gently roll around to coat with flour.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick wok and saute the beef balls until brown, tilting and rocking the wok so that the balls brown evenly. Remove and set aside on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Add the red curry paste to the remaining oil in the wok, and stir-fry for several minutes over low heat until aromatic. Add the coconut milk, stir to incorporate, then add fish sauce, peanut butter and sugar. Mix well and taste for seasoning - add a little extra sugar or fish sauce if necessary.
- Return the beef balls to the sauce and simmer gently, to re-heat, for around 5 minutes.
- Serve hot, with rice and garnished with chopped basil or mint (or some of each).