Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one of my families favorite desserts. This recipe seems to have a lot of different names, and they are all delicious.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts, I use walnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 ounces Cool Whip
- 3 (4 ounce) packages instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- Cream flour, margarine, and nuts. Press into 9 x 13 pan.
- Cook for 10 minutes @ 350°F Let cool.
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, cool whip until smooth.
- Spread cream cheese mixture on crust.
- Mix together pudding mix and milk.
- Pour onto cream cheese mixture.
- Once pudding is set up, spread cool whip on evenly.
- Refrigerate until serving.
Thanks for your WONDERFUL photo, Lavender Lynn. It inspired me immed. to make it for Valentine's Day! I actually made Oh so Yummy Chocolate Gooey Layered Dessert (slightly scaled back ingred. amounts) and didn't see your "Panama Canal" recipe till afterwards. Your photo is my favorite dessert photo on Zaar! This dessert is the BEST and sure to please- I will be sure to include this for my holiday menus, too. Thanks for posting. Roxygirl
Very interesting! The base was kind of bland, I think next time I'll add cinnamon or something. The cream cheese layer was something new with the icing added. For the pudding layer I only had 2 boxes of chocolate pudding so I added a box of banana pudding. I skipped the cool whip layer since we're not too big on plain cool whip here. Thanks for something new!
My daughter makes this for every holiday and it is so good. It is very rich, but wonderful. She uses pecans in the crust, but otherwise the recipe is the same.