Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Austrian bread soup for ZWT2! Remember this one the next time you are sick....
- 2 day old bread rolls
- 1 liter clear beef stock or 1 liter chicken stock or 1 liter vegetable stock
- chopped chives
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- Cut rolls into cubes and cook with the stock until the rolls have been completely absorbed by soup.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk egg yolk with cream, gradually pour on the hot soup whisking all the time.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve at once.
- A small lump of butter added just before serving greatly improves the flavor.
- For vegetarian use the vegetable stock.
This was surprisingly good in face of the simple ingredients & prep. It also has a richness that makes you think it is more complex than it really is & elevates it to more than "I want to feel better food". I am not real sure I made it right. My rolls were still a bit chunky in the broth, so I whizzed the soup w/my magic bullet b4 adding the cream, finishing it off w/butter as suggested & adding a sprinkle of chives for color. Thx for sharing your recipe w/us. :-)