Recipe by Elmotoo
Austrian bread soup for ZWT2! Remember this one the next time you are sick....
Top Review by twissis
This was surprisingly good in face of the simple ingredients & prep. It also has a richness that makes you think it is more complex than it really is & elevates it to more than "I want to feel better food". I am not real sure I made it right. My rolls were still a bit chunky in the broth, so I whizzed the soup w/my magic bullet b4 adding the cream, finishing it off w/butter as suggested & adding a sprinkle of chives for color. Thx for sharing your recipe w/us. :-)
- 2 day old bread rolls
- 1 liter clear beef stock or 1 liter chicken stock or 1 liter vegetable stock
- chopped chives
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut rolls into cubes and cook with the stock until the rolls have been completely absorbed by soup.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk egg yolk with cream, gradually pour on the hot soup whisking all the time.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve at once.
- A small lump of butter added just before serving greatly improves the flavor.
- For vegetarian use the vegetable stock.