Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 18 medium trimmed beets (about 4 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- cooking spray
- 1 cup coarsely chopped vidalia onions or 1 cup other sweet onion
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Place beets in a dutch oven, cover with water.
- Bring to a boil: cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Drain and rinse under cold water, drain and let cool.
- Rub off skins, cut into wedges.
- Set aside.
- Place walnuts in a large nonstick skillet: cook over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Coat skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion, and saute 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add beets, and cook 15 minutes.
- stirring frequently.
- Combine sugar and vinegar; add to skillet, and cook 2 minutes or until beets are glazed.
- Spoon into a bowl, and sprinkle with toasted walnuts and blue cheese.