Recipe by SusieQusie
Balsamic vinegar helps to brown the onions and enhances the flavor of a quick pan sauce. This works best with steaks 1 - 1 1/4 inches thick. Cooking time given yields a medium rare steak. Recipe found in Cook's Country.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large red onions, large, peeled & cut into 1/2 slices, rings separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 (8 -10 ounce) boneless strip steaks
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar, plus
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions & salt and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Wipe out skillet with paper towels.
- Add remaining oil to skillet & adjust flame to medium high.
- Pat steaks dry & add to oil. Leave them alone for for 4-5 minutes then flip & cook other side 3-4 minutes. Remove & wrap tightly in foil.
- Discard any remaining fat in skillet, return onions to pan & reduce temp to medium. Add garlic & cook 30 seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup vinegar, rosemary and brown sugar and cook, scraping up browned bits, until thick & syrupy, about 2 minutes.
- Unwrap steak & pour any accumulated juices in skillet along with remaining vinegar. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Slice steaks crosswise in 1/4 slices & serve topped with onions & sauce.