Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great way to have steaks. From Bon Appetit.
- 2 (10 ounce) rib eye steaks, 10-ounces each
- salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons pepper, coarsely-ground
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup merlot
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Sprinkle steaks on both sides with salt and 2 teaspoons pepper; press to adhere.
- Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add steaks; cook to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium.
- Transfer steaks to 2 plates (do not clean skillet).
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to pan.
- Add mushrooms and shallot; sauté 2 minutes.
- Add wine and thyme and boil until wine is reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Pour over steaks.
We made this steak for dinner last night and enjoyed it very much. It had great flavor and was very easy to prepare. I loved the combination of shiitake, thyme, merlot, and shallots. Next time, I will use a higher end merlot as I suspect it will only enhance the already delicious flavor. The only modifications I made were to use olive oil in place of vegetable oil and used regular butter in place of unsalted. We would definitely make this recipe again. Thanks for posting.