Recipe by lazyme
This is a great way to have steaks. From Bon Appetit.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
We made this steak for dinner last night and enjoyed it very much. It had great flavor and was very easy to prepare. I loved the combination of shiitake, thyme, merlot, and shallots. Next time, I will use a higher end merlot as I suspect it will only enhance the already delicious flavor. The only modifications I made were to use olive oil in place of vegetable oil and used regular butter in place of unsalted. We would definitely make this recipe again. Thanks for posting.
- 2 (10 ounce) rib eye steaks, 10-ounces each
- salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons pepper, coarsely-ground
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup merlot
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle steaks on both sides with salt and 2 teaspoons pepper; press to adhere.
- Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add steaks; cook to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium.
- Transfer steaks to 2 plates (do not clean skillet).
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to pan.
- Add mushrooms and shallot; sauté 2 minutes.
- Add wine and thyme and boil until wine is reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Pour over steaks.