Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This might even be better than grilling and is just as easy! (No joke!) Super tender, super juicy, super flavorful! Can't go wrong with Alton Brown! Note: Cooking time includes time to bring steaks to room temperature.
- 1 rib eye steaks or 2 New York strip steaks, 1 1/2-inch thick
- vegetable oil, to coat
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- Remove steak(s) from fridge and start bringing them to room temperature.
- After 30 to 45 minutes, place a 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees F.
- When oven reaches temperature, remove the pan and place it on a burner over high heat.
- Coat steak(s) lightly with oil and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste.
- Immediately place steak(s) in the middle of the hot, dry pan. Cook 30 to 60 seconds without moving. Turn the steak(s) with tongs and cook another 30 to 60 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 3 to 5 minutes. Flip steak(s) and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. (The time in the oven depends on how rare you like your steaks. The time given is for medium, but depends on number of steaks, etc. as well.)
- Remove the steak(s) from the pan, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 2 minutes.
- Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.
Loved it! Had an 8 oz. tenderloin (about 1 inch thick), did the minute on each side, then 1.5 on each side in the oven. Perfect medium rare! DH says best steak I ever made, and I agree.
This is the only way we make our steaks at home. In fact, after doing this for years now, we no longer order steaks out, because they aren't as tender and tasty. Just be prepared for the smoke detectors to go off when you drop the steak into the pan. At least they always do at our house. :)
Fantastic! I am a steak SNOB, and only looked this up because it started raining just as I was about to grill. I dont have a cast iron Skillet, so i just used a nonstick pan to sear it, and then put it in a metal pan to put in the oven. PERFECT Medium rare.