Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is such a good way to fix a steak, it has its own sauce. This is good served with creamed potatoes.
- 2 ounces olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 filet mignon steaks (nice size)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 fluid ounce sherry wine
- 2 -3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 fluid ounce heavy cream
- Season filets with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat oil in saute pan on high until hot; place garlic in pan folled by filets; sear for two minutes each side, remove steaks, set aside;discard garlic.
- Use the sherry to deglaze pan; add mushrooms and saute on med-high heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Place steaks back in pan; put Dijon mustard on each steak and turn steaks over to incorporate the mustard into a sauce with juices in pan; add the cream and allow to simmer until steaks are at desired temperature, Serve.
Outstanding flavor. But I didn't know how long to simmer the filets - it was just trial and error. I don't like them bloody rare, and I took them out too soon, so they had to go back in... then I still wasn't sure so I cut one open, which I know you shouldn't do. What can I say, I'm not quite "there" as a steak-searing expert. Maybe some more detailed time suggestions would help this recipe, but I realize that steak size varies so it's hard to say. Once these filet mignons made it to the table, they were outstanding. Very flavorful and tender, and the mushrooms were a great addition!
WOW. I've had many steaks in my lifetime ranging from Diner to 5 star quality.. I honestly think that this recipe beats a majority of the stuff that is served at restaurants (low and high class).. The food tastes wonderful. It's not overly flavorful, though the flavors do compliment the steaks nicely. I made this dish with mashed potatoes for my mother as a surprise, and needless to say she was quite surprised. We were well fed for the evening. Thank you for a very wonderful meal and recipe. I will share this with friends and family.
OMG this was so good! The sauce was amazing...even though I overcooked my steaks a little (my fault) it didn't matter becuase the sauce is amazing. You can't go wrong with this recipe and it is super easy!!