Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
America's Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile in adobo
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Whisk the lime juice, cilantro, chipotle chile, adobo sauce, and brown sugar together in a small bowl; set aside.
- Pat shrimp dry with paper towels; season with ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and sugar.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until smoking.
- Add half the shrimp to pan in a single layer; cook until spotty brown and just pink around the edges, about 1 minute.
- Off heat, use tongs to quickly flip over each shrimp and let stand until all but very center is opaque, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer shrimp to plate and cover with foil.
- Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet and return to high heat until just smoking; sear remaining shrimp.
- After second batch has stood off heat, return first batch to skillet and toss to combine.
- Add glaze, cover, and let stand to warm through glaze, about 1 minute.
- Toss shrimp again to coat and serve.