Recipe by picky-picky
From Cooking Light, July, 2007. "Sear the scallops while the orzo cooks. Serve this easy but impressive meal with a green salad, garlic bread, and a crisp white wine."
Top Review by Abby Girl
This recipe would have got 5 stars as the scallops and lemon orzo were very flavourful...but... after making the orzo, I was short by 3/4 cup on the 4th serving. Next time, I will increase the orzo to 1-1/2 cups and the broth to 1-1/2 cups. Also, I would use lemon pepper instead of regular to give the scallops a little more zip..and cook the scallops 2 minutes on each side rather than 3. Once the scallops were cooked, I added some of the juices back into the orzo This recipe makes up under 30 minutes and calculated out to be 12 points on Weight Watchers
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped, can use prechopped
- 1 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sea scallops
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add onion to pan; saute 3 minutes.
- Stir in pasta, broth, wine, and thyme; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and pasta is al dente.
- Stir in chopped chives and lemon juice.
- Keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle scallops evenly with salt and pepper and add them to the pan; cook 3 minutes on each side until desired degree of doneness.
- Serve with pasta mixture.
- Serving size is 4 1/2 oz. scallops and about 3/4 cup pasta mixture.