Recipe by CCinSC
This recipe is from the Auberge du Soleil Spa, Napa Valley, CA. A fabulous light dish, the combinations of flavors and textures, sweet and salty, creamy and crunchy are fantastic! (The cooking time includes the balsamic reduction)
Top Review by Paris D
Oh my, was this ever delicious! Not only that, but it looks like you could serve it in a restaurant. It's both beautiful and tasty! We will make this again (as soon as sea scallops go on sale). Thanks for posting!
- 4 fresh sea scallops (each 2-3 oz)
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar (buy the best quality you can)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Reduce balsamic vinegar over low heat until it is the consistency of syrup, about 1/4 cup.
- Keep warm.
- Cook cauliflower florets for about one minute in boiling salted water, then put on ice to stop the cooking and retain color.
- Reserve one cup of the florets.
- Put the other cup into a saucepan, cover it with 1/4 cup of cream and cook for about 8 minutes.
- Puree in a blender or push through a fine sieve and keep warm.
- Put 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a small sauté pan, and when heated add the scallops that have been seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Cook over moderately high heat, high enough to get a nice caramelized sear, on each side for 1-3 minutes, until cooked through.
- In another small sauté pan, brown 1 1/2 tablespoons butter slightly, then add the cup of florets that were not pureed.
- Cook for one minute or two browning the cauliflower slightly.
- Add the toasted, slivered almonds, then the capers, golden raisins and chopped parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In the center of a plate, put half the cauliflower puree.
- Arrange the cauliflower-caper-raisin mixture on top of the puree as a bed for the scallops.
- Top with half the scallops, then drizzle the plate with the reduced balsamic vinegar.
- Repeat with second plate.